Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dogfood or PB

Today I tried to be a good mom and let the kids do and art project. It's rare I can get them to do anything like coloring or painting so when they say yes, I jump on it. We had fun for a whole 10 minutes and made cute pictures from Nana's birthday this week.
I guess it's bound to happen. If you find a kid who hasn't eaten dog food it's like finding a pickle without a bump on it. I thought I'd passed that stage with Payton but nope, now at 4 yrs old he decides to try it. He kept eating it like it was candy and kept sneaking out to do it. Of course the other follows but she thought it was more fun to just play in it and feed it to Boo.
As always Payton loves his picture taken. He was happy to play in the water today. He's strong enough to turn on the water by himself and if I don't wake up right when he does, he goes outside first thing and turns on the sprinkler.
When I decided to do this PB week for my mom, I didn't realize how hard it would be to do things other than treats. Well, that I wasn't too lazy to slave over the stove anyway.
So........I found a recipe that looked good. PB-Banana Muffins. Never had it before but I like trying new things. It made up quick and smelled really good out of the oven. I took a bite and YUCK!!! They were totally bland and blah! No way would I share that. So I made my hubbys FAVORITE treat-Peanut Butter Pie. We do this for birthdays because he's not a cake fan. It is rich and YUMMY!
I did try something new this time which was ok for small portions.
Normally I do the whole thing in a pie pan but I don't want to end up eating the whole pan myself. I decided to put in individual cupcake pans which turned out kindof cute. I like to experiment so I made one crust of oreos and the other my original crust of Nutterbutter cookies. For a pie, put most of the package in a food processor and it chops quick. Add about 1/4 c melted butter and a pinch of sugar and mix. Press into pan and freeze a few minutes to set.
Next, Pile in your favorite ice-cream, freeze again and then layer with melted PB and chocolate. Have everything melted before removing from freezer and put back in immediately to keep ice-cream from melting. Keep frozen until served. Left over crumbs can be added on top. I've never done the oreo before and it's good but the Nutterbutter is close to Perfect!

8 comments:

Tammy said...

I think you are right about all kids eating dog food at least once. I still remember eating it when I was a kid, I don't remember how old I was but I know it was under 6 because we still lived in Provo. I don't remember what kind but it had brown pieces and red pieces and I remember the red pieces tasted the best.I also remember how it tasted but I can't describe it. So it may be a lasting memory for them and they can use it through out there life as a most embarrassing moment. I know I have on many occasions. Your pies look much much better than the dog food though and they are making me hungry. I was also going to tell you to check the food network website I have seen many of the cooks use PB in main dishes you might find some interesting recipes to try.

Gayle said...

Ooh, those little pies look so yummy! I just might have to try that one. Thanks for sharing!

Ian and Lara said...

Those cupcakes look professional! You are a good mom! I would be freaking out over the dog poo. And I have a hard time with the "art" projects too.

Kamill said...

You are such a good little mom. YOu can tell that you really love every little moment with your kids, even if its when they are chowing down on dog food. Yuck! Easton loves to eat dog food also or his favorite is the dog treats that are soft jerky. Yuck!
We should start your own cook book! Those pies look heavenly!
Oh, and I won't complain again about not ever seeing my hubby! You really don't ever get to see Andy. I should be telling you to hang in there and it won't be like this forever! When will he be done with school?

Lori Huntsman said...

Trust me, the peanut butter pies are OUT OF THIS WORLD yummy!!!!!! My favorite so far. Thanks. I love them. And the pictures from the kids are just AWESOME. Best birthday yet. Thanks. MOM

Brown Family said...

Those look so yummy, if I weren't on a diet then I'd make them myself. Ok who are we kidding, I'm not on a diet but I burn everything that has to be cooked!!!
Way to be a fun mom!

Celisa said...

Those pies look way good! I will have to try them out! I hope that you guys are doing good, and I wish that we were coming for the 24th so that we could see you.

Dave and Mel said...

will you make me these when you get back, please!