Friday, August 29, 2008

Gettysburg Trip

After our heavenly chocolate trip we headed down to Gettysburg. Its only another hour away and was yet another beautiful drive. Now maybe you can all remember everything you learned in history but I can't. I was in 7th grade! I remember the main points of Gettysburg but I found this a great learning experience. I love seeing places you've learned about because it helps you to appreciate it so much more. I realized that I actually really like history. It helps that my hubby is a walking book too.
We met a group who was on the way to pick up their missionary and had stopped here first. Their guide was also a member and told us some very interesting events about the church and the battle of Gettysburg. I can't relay them properly but we bought the book 'The Gettysburg Gospel', by Gabor Boritt, which is so far a great read and one to check out. (we got a copy for you too Grandpa Gold)

They have now built a brand new visitors center at the military park. They offer tours and the building is enormous and beautiful. I wish we could have just had the whole day to read about everything and watch several of the videos but by this time we were basically trying to keep our kids from going crazy. Literally. I had to hold a screaming kid so I couldn't hold the camera but they have all different manor of guns, ammo, cannons, uniforms, maps of camps, and biographies of soldiers.

4 comments:

Gayle said...

It is so neat to visit places like this, just not easy with little kids! Hopefully you can go back when they're older and appreciate it more (plus let you actually look at exhibits). :-) We visited Palmyra when McKay was 18 months old and definitely decided museums and toddlers just don't mix. Now, he would just love a trip like that!

Unknown said...

My husband Will is a big history buff and he knows so many things about War, he mostly reads about World War 11. I don't know that much about "Gettysburg" but it would be fun and exciting to take a trip out there someday. Maybe that will happen, but who knows when that might be.

Raegan said...

Funny story: Brian and I went there and couldn't even remember what war it was! I was sure it was the Revolutionary war! How dumb are we! We felt dumb when all the tour guides and everyone around us knew exactly what they were looking at!

Tammy said...

Isn't it amazing! We went to gettysburg on my senior trip and it was amazing to me how peaceful and quiet it was. There was just a feeling of reverence and that any noise would be disrespectful. I feel the peacefulness in all cemetaries but there was something different about that one. I think you could spend a week there looking at all the memorials and museams and still not see it all. I am glad you got to visit it.