Saturday, September 6, 2008

New York City Day Life

They call it New York City because they say nothing ever gets old, but I must say somethings definitely could----really fast. I was flipping through the radio stations on my mp3 player on my way into manhatten the other day when a man dedicated a song to his same sex partner and followed it by saying, "sorry I stabbed you." Interesting, I thought...how penitent...... Then I thought, I wonder if I'll meet that guy today at the hospital.
I just began my new rotation at the St Vincent Hospital at 7th ave and 12th st. Let's just say, it's an intersting commute. Because I leave at 5am before the buses run, I get picked up by a "carpool cab" that takes me and a neighbor from Melbourn, Australia to the Long island Rail Road where it takes 45 mins into the city to Penn St at 34th, then the #1 train down to 14th, then I walk the short block to the hospital. With a 900 bed capacity on 16 floors, it was quite intimidating at first. I was assigned to the Infectious Dz and HIV team that consists of 2 other interns and a resident and an attending that tries to mimic the show "house" for at least 4 hours a day...we follow him around like storm troopers behind darth vader...or like the president and his measly press staff...kind of funny watching us move down the hall, answering most of his questions with "interesting, I'll get back to you on that." He's got long hair pulled back into a pony tail and a beard...he knows his stuff, and makes sure we never look "too" impressive.
We are assigned mostly to complicated HIV cases with advanced infections, mostly homeless, from the ER, MICU, etc. We get all the pneumonias and rare infx dz cases. We start at 6:30am and usually finish around 6pm. Me being the new guy, I get to do all the ABGs, blod draws, cultures, etc that no one else wants to do...I catch the 3 train expres back to Penn, then the LIRr, then Kris picks me up fo a nice end of the day. But I must say it has been an incredible first week, lots of "interesting" characters. Except I didn't meet the guy with the stab wound.....yet. And I bet you were wondering the song he was dedicating....you guessed it--Abba--- "Dancing Queen--the remix."

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Wow, Andy, it sure sounds like you're getting quite an experience. Thanks for the update -- it was great to read a little more about the city life you're leading!

Lori Huntsman said...

I was telling everybody at work about what you are doing now and they all were way impressed. They all said to "be careful man" and I echo their words. Gloves, masks...take the precautions seriously and you'll be fine. I know there's lots to learn, and this is a different world than what you've been use to, but remember, God loves them too. You can learn lots of compassion here and I know you will, because you have shown compassion to others less fortunate than yourself in the past. Good Luck....what a learning experience!!! Learn all you can. Nana Lori