Friday, September 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

This Sunday is my Grandpa Huntsmans 99th birthday!!! Can you believe it! He doesn't look a day over 80, and still as sharp as they come. I am so sad that I won't be there to give him a big hug and a pile of 99 balloons. I wonder what I could send in the mail that I could send 99 of??? Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Anyhoo, I just love him so much. Besides the fact that he is gorgeous, he is one of the best people I know. He has the Huntsman trait of hissing when he laughes and you can count on him always saying, "yes sir" or "fiddlesticks". He can't remember but he taught me to play poker when I was just a little kid. I grew up with him as a father figure and I couldn't have had a better dad for real. Not because of the poker but because I can always talk to him. He used to take me everywhere when I was a kid. Rides in the truck with Grandma, eating mush for breakfast, watching Matlock, checking on the cows, or sharing stories and jokes. I love to hear his tales and trials of the 'olden days'. He has had a great life so far and we figure and can give us another 10 or so. He used to hold us down for spankings on our birthday. Do you think giving him 99 would be inappropriate? We'd probably get wacked with a cane. Guess we'll stick with kisses. We love you so much Grandpa!

3 comments:

The Larsen's said...

Ohhh, that was such a sweet birthday tribute to your grandpa. He does looke great for 99!! What a nice man. If only we could all have our grandpa's for 99+ years, how much better we would all be for it.

Lori Huntsman said...

I wondered if you would remember grandpa's birthday....I should have known You wouldn't forget. You've always had a soft spot in your heart for grandpa I know. And he has a big place in his heart for you. He told me he worried that maybe he'd been a little too hard on you at times, growing up, but he'd felt such a responsibility to teach you and guide you because you didn't have a dad. I think you Both are pretty great! He won't even be home Sunday. He left Saturday to go to Las Vegas (with Nick and Jodie) to bless Sarah's baby. They are coming home Sunday afternoon and then he's leaving to go to Nevada with Lyman, so we'll have to give him a hug as he takes off. He loves to go, go, go. Especially to the ranch. He's still just a old cowboy. Thanks for remembering grandpa....I love you both!

Tammy said...

I always envied you guys for being able to live right by Grandpa and Grandma. I have some great memories of spending weeks in Enterprise during the summer and all the visits and holidays spent there. I always thought it would be cool to be able to go to Grandpa's anytime I wanted and really getting to know him and Grandma. He is a wonderful man.