We don't have a first day of school here, YET. But today was my first day playing for sacrament. I didn't play the organ since I haven't been able to get in to try it out yet but I have to say it was a great day. Andy had to work today and I was a little worried about getting there on time and in fact early to play prelude since we have to leave by 8:15 but we made it. Yahoo! And my husband says I'm never on time. hmm.
I sat the kids down on the bench with their cute little church reading books and the little angels just sat there quietly!! I was so proud and happy! In fact, they were good through all of church until the last few minutes when Halle dumped her crackers but hey, it was a good day.
It feels really good to be playing again. I didn't realize how much I missed it. Not that I have much of a choice since I am the only one in the ward who can play besides a missionary who thankfully didn't get transferred. I hope to get to practice the organ this week because I'm feeling up to the challenge. Also as music chairman I've been instructed to start a ward choir. Did you ever picture me playing the organ and leading the choir?? nope but so far I'm excited about it. Plus, if I'm being honest, it will be nice to let Andy worry about the kids for part of church. hee hee.
I haven't seen what our ward has in the library. Normally it's not much but if so it will be fun ordering music and such supplies. Luckily I have several of you family members who have experience, whom I can call I hope. :)
And I'm also happy to report that I now get the bench next to the organ! Yep, I'm just gonna take it! And I also now have the Power to say, "get your kids off the organ lady!" (Just gotta be there to understand)
So if any of you come out to visit. Just plan on singing in the choir. :)
Sunday, September 7, 2008
First Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Wow! Good luck with that! I am sure you will do a great job! I miss playing the piano too, but here there are a million that play. How different the church is in different areas of the world!
Your beach trip looks really fun! It's so nice to have the church where you can make friends wherever you are!
You will do GREAT!!!!! I have no fears for you....you have many abilities, of which, music is but one, and it runs in the family....so you'll do great. I'm sure Grandma has a HUGE smile on her face. Love ya, MOM
Hey, the best time to practice the organ IS when you're playing prelude. Course, when I first started out as ward organist I got to pick the hymns and yes, I was at the church practicing on mutual nights. Playing the organ is fun--and in my opinion--easier than playing the piano! It's all about finger technique and once you get it down, you'll LOVE IT!
Wow playing in church, that's great. I can totally see you leading the choir and doing a great job. Good Luck!
Good luck with your callings - I'm sure you'll do great! I just got called to play the organ in our ward too. It's been awhile, so I'll need to practice (and probably skip the pedals for awhile!).
I'm the back-up organist. Whenever our organist is out of town, I'm the sub. I don't mind it, and no one really knows if you play the pedals anyway!
I'm finally getting around to reading the blogs! LOVE the music on your blog! Do you speak Spanish? I was surprised to hear some Spanish music (which was great, by the way).
I'm the pianist for our ward choir, and I think I've had that calling my whole adult life. Anyway, I have some good arrangements of stuff that I'll have to send you.
Post a Comment