Thursday, October 2, 2008

F.A.Oh so fun!

Last weekend we had another one of those mornings where we wake up and dad says, "Lets go to the city." We're not going to say no to that! I've now learned to shop so that I always have snacks to grab since Andy tends to do this a lot. We gathered the umbrella's and the kids had a great laugh watching us run to catch the train just in time. It was very exciting for them to ride instead of our normal routine of looking at it from the car while waiting for dad.
The kids and I also had our first experience of riding the subway. Luckily, I always carry Purel! I was also fortunate as to not see any rats either. I thought that was a huge plus. We had a short walk to our destination-F.A.O Schwartz. We've been past it several times and decided it was time to quit putting it off. This place is certainly spectacular. We didn't know where to look first. As you walk in, you see enormous, almost life size, toys. Giraffes, elephants, dinosaurs, you name it. Huge stuffed animals to fill your play rooms galore. Our first stop was, of course, the giant piano (you know, the movie BIG) Tom Hanks has nothing on us! And yes, we all should have one of these in our homes. And I thought the organ was difficult.

I asked this man if he felt like a celebrity. He looked at me and sternly said, "I am the most photographed man in New York." Oops! Maybe I should have got his autograph I guess. :0 We see candy, we just gotta get some. Old school candy I haven't seen since I was a kid. (Cloves used to sell them for a penny when I was little. Ah, sweet memories. Grandpa gives ya a quarter and ya load up on candy.) We found a gummy snake that was over a foot long. Delicious!

Story/music time. This was so much fun. Can't remember the name of the book but when I turned around. I was standing right next to David and Victoria Beckham. (And their kids, helpers, and 6 bodyguards) Those of you who don't know, he is a huge famous soccer player and she used to be a Spice Girl who now is just famous for basically never smiling and being skinny in high heels. ???? Can't really figure out why she's so famous. Anyhoo, it was a big deal at the store and oddly enough we just kept running into them. We didn't take pictures because it's weird to walk up to someone and take their pic. Plus they had their kids and I thought it would be rude. And no, they don't look better in person. See, if we could all only be air brushed.

This place makes Toys 'R Us look like a little toy box. It was so much fun just looking around and playing with all the toys. Even I wanted to be a kid again and play. We ended up buying a stuffed animal for Andy. A lab dog that looked just like Sherlock. The kids were happy to just play and then head home. If every store would just let us do that. I can't wait to see the set up for their Christmas display.



5 comments:

Ashley said...

We ventured into a FAO up in Seattle one year. Yes, it is the funnest toy store ever!! Though, I think the one in New York is even more spectacular! However, the prices of some of their stuff makes me wanna pass out. Didn't stop Jaren from buying stuff though.

Natasha said...

you have to learn to take the "SLY" celebrity photo! Where you pretend you are taking a picture of something else, but at the last min, you snap a picture of the celebrity you wanted to see

Next time you head into the city, CALL US! We'd love to meet up with you guys!

Gayle said...

Wow -- that looks like an amazing place! I'm sure my kids would go nuts in a store like that. And how much nicer it is when your kids aren't begging you to buy everything they see but are just glad to be there!

Lori Huntsman said...

I can't wait to go there! These next couple of weeks will drag I know. Plus, we have to go to the M&M store and the Disney store. It looks soooo fun.

Sandra said...

Looks like TONS of fun!!