Saturday, October 11, 2008

Current Fav's

So besides our recent candy addiction, we've had a few recipes that are our current fav's right now. Though my picture taking skills may not be the best, they are extra yummy. The first is TACO SOUP. I only recently tried this and we love it!
I looked through several recipes to and combined a few to get what I wanted so can't really give the credit to anyone in particular.
There are several different ways, so if you have a better one, then please share. :)

1 lb lean ground beef, cooked (whatever spices you generally use, I put onion in mine)
1-2 cans chicken broth
1 can tomato juice
1 can diced tomatoes (one time I tried it with the chili tomatoes, mild, and it was yummy too)
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 pkg taco seasoning mix, mild for the kiddos
1-2 cans whole corn drained
Brown beef with onion and drain all grease. Simmer all other ingredients about 15 minutes. I start it when I start the beef and then just add it.
Serve in bowls with cheese, sour cream and chips.

Ahh, we are so happy! Just a cute pic I had to throw in. They love the chips the most.

Ok, so this really isn't the best picture but I'm not a professional chef and it's dang good. These are two different recipes I got from our friends, Jeremy & Julie, and then the rice from Lourdes. They are generally made separate but last night they were a winning combo. So feel free to try them how you'd like. We've also combined the rice with the Taco Soup and it's dang good too.
For the CHEESE DIP, it's pretty easy. You can make whatever serving size you'd like. It's equal parts of Velveeta cheese, browned hamburger, and salsa. I'd still recommend mild for the kiddos. Unless you're serving a lot, don't make too much because I don't think the hamburger would be good in it reheated. It tends to get a more greasy taste that way.
Brown your hamburger as usual, good with garlic and onion. Cut Velveeta into cubes and slowly melt with salsa. Combine all and let heat thoroughly. Our friends brought this in a crock pot and it stayed warm all night. Well, not really cause we all scarfed it down quick, but ya get my drift.

RICE WITH CORN< SPANISH STYLE
Now, these were her instructions, not mine so you kind of have to taste and use your judgment.
3 cups rice, (I use whole wheat, I think she used white)
3 1/2 c water
1-2 can corn drained
salt
fresh chopped garlic
olive oil
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp goya adobo (look in the specialty aisle in Spanish cooking)
1 pkg sazon goya (Same aisle)
1 can tomato sauce
A few bay leaves
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil and put the garlic and corn in pan for 1 min. Add tomato sauce and some salt, oregano, sazon goya and adobo for about 2 min. Then add water and bay leaves. Taste water to make sure it's slightly salty and add 2 more tbsp of olive oil. Stir and let sit 5 min. Once it boils, add rice and turn down heat. Cover about 20 min. uncover and stir. Take out bay leaves and make sure it's soft. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Lori Huntsman said...

Yum, they look great. And I'm hungry too. Guess I'll try making something new this week. Thanks for the receipes. And love the picture!

Brown Family said...

Taco soup is yummy. It's a fav on the Brown side. Hope all is well with you guys.

Gayle said...

These look yummy! I'm going to try the Spanish Rice this week -- do you remember what size can of tomato sauce you used in it?

Bobbi Simkins said...

sounds yummy. i'm going to give the taco soup a try. thanks! i'm always looking for new recipes. i get bored with mine.