This weekend we decided to be brave and set out on yet another small road trip. This actually proved to be a big success. We couldn't have had a better time. We drove out to Montauk which is the very end of Long Island. We can see the sound from our apt. but the lighthouse at Montauk is the first lighthouse on the island and they have a small museum. For those of you movie buffs , it's also were the boat docked the slaves from the story of "AMISTAD". Mileage wise it's not far at all but because half the drive there is a two lane road, it took about 2 hrs. Perfect length for the kids to get a nap.
This weekend we decided to be brave and set out on yet another small road trip. This actually proved to be a big success. We couldn't have had a better time. We drove out to Montauk which is the very end of Long Island. We can see the sound from our apt. but the lighthouse at Montauk is the first lighthouse on the island and they have a small museum. For those of you movie buffs , it's also were the boat docked the slaves from the story of "AMISTAD". Mileage wise it's not far at all but because half the drive there is a two lane road, it took about 2 hrs. Perfect length for the kids to get a nap.
The scenery is beautiful, and since we drive right through the Hamptons, it's also a nice look for those of you who love cars. I can't remember how many Bentley's, Mazzerati's and Lamborgini's I saw. We were next to an older Lamborgini, in our fabulous Chevy Cavelier, and Andy thought he'd be funny and rev his engine. Well, the guy stayed next to us and then peeled out going 60 mph. We all smiled and he took off.
The kids really enjoyed this mini trip, mainly because they got to just run around outside. Payton even climbed the lighthouse steps all by himself. 129 to be exact..well, I think. I lost track after a while. I believe that's what they told us anyway.
Andy of course was intrigued because this happens to be one of the best places in the world to catch stripper. They actually had a shark tournament going on so the sea was full of boats. And of course there was an airplane pulling a sign around saying, 'stop killing the sharks'.
There is so much to see around us that I'm starting to get in panic mode. Not literally, but there is a lot to see and little time left to see it. I can't believe we've been here a year already. We only have 1 year left. And then we're off to some other adventure. But for now, at least we can find enough to blog about.
Monday, June 16, 2008
Sweet Ride
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sounds like a fun little trip -- it looks just beautiful! I'm glad it went better than your last one! I know what you mean about the "panic" -- I'm already thinking of places I wished we would have taken the time to go and see while we were in Houston (and we were there 12 years!). It all comes down to time, I guess.
It looks absolutely gorgeous up there. There's no way I could have survived those trips. I had a hard enough time survivng 48 hours in San Antonion. It's fun to go places!!
That would be fun to be able to go and tour all the different sites around there- got to take advantage of it while you can!
Post a Comment