Payton at the water circle in Boston. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place. sorry.
USS Constitution
Trinity Church
This was Halle's mad face after a day of treking around.
Don't let the smiles fool you.
So I mentioned before that after our wonderful time in Texas, we decided to go see a few of the local sites. We couldn't stay in our bug infested apartment anyway so we decided to pack the car and head out. Well, little did we know just what we had in store for us.
You've seen those movies where everything that could possible go wrong does. And you think, this is so dumb. That could never happen. Well, I am here to tell you that as outrageous as it may seem, those things do happen and our week was the prime example.
Were do I begin. Oh yes, so after packing up all our stuff and dreading the housework we decided to head to Boston to see some the historic sites. We got out of church at noon so we fed the kids a quick lunch and figured they could nap in the car. As we started packing we noticed that someone had hit the back side of our car. Of course they didn't leave a note. It didn't seem to big a deal though until we had put our stuff in the trunk and found that it wouldn't latch and close. No matter how many times we re-arranged things, it would not shut. It had been moved just enough to knock it off alignment. The sun was finally shining today and the kids were starting to sweat in the car. So Andy grabbed a shoe lace and being the great boy scout he is, fixed a beauty of a knot and we decided to go. The whole incident took longer than we thought so we decided to stay with our good friend half way in Connecticut.
That was really nice and the kids were excited to see 'uncle Mike'. He and Andy spent most of the night trying to fix the car but it just wouldn't budge. Incidently we ended up putting another small dent in the car.
The kids were much to excited to go to bed and finally around 11pm they quit jumping on each other and went to sleep.
We arose to a beautiful day. We stopped at Walmart to get a few things including some bungy cords. Well, they didn't work to well. Maybe I should have bought more shoe laces? It still worked so we tied it back up and took off.
It didn't take too long to reach Boston. We weren't exactly sure on where to go and our GPS kept doing all these crazy things that it was completely pointless. Luckily, Mike had been there before and gave us some good directions.
We opted for the Freedom Trail ride on the trolleys. Figured the kids would find that fun.
The kids immediately poop upon arrival but it's ok. It's out of the way, right?
One of our first stops in the USS Constitution. Unfortunately, It's closed on Mondays because the men do their laundry that day. We were able to get a picture though. The kids ended up running through the museum and of course needing to poop again so we changed and got back on the trolley.
Halle quickly got tired of the trolley, even though she was free and didn't have to have a car seat. The driver would swerve and break while singing lullabies to her. It was cute but she eventually got back to screaming. We just kept taking turns holding her down. The tour was almost over when a speeding car came and hit our trolley. We heard the screeching for several seconds before it hit so at least we had some sort of warning. Thankfully, no one was hurt but the car was totaled. We waited while another trolley came to pick us up and then we finished the tour while Halle cried, of course.
Few, we made it! I think I managed to see a few things. We found a fun water fountain in the courtyard and let the kids play. They loved being able to just run and get soaked.
We changed clothes and by the time we reached the end of the parking lot the kids were asleep so we took off and decided to eat when they woke up.
We stopped in a little town called Lebenon, NH. It took a while to find a place to eat. While getting the kids out of the car we noticed that we had forgot to put a diaper on Payton (I knew he would fall asleep) and he had had an accident all over the carseat and was soaking wet. We change clothes yet again. Our food took forever and so we decided to just get stay there for the night. Well there were signs for hotels everywhere but we couldn't find them. There was one off the road but they were full and all the others listed couldn't NOT be found. No, we really aren't that dumb. So we drove a few miles to the next town and found several nice places. We were all so happy when we walked in to the room. After all our apt. mess we wanted to just live here in this hotel but I'm sure the commute just wouldn't work. We had a good nights rest and were able to do laundry since we'd gone through several outfits the day before.
We took off again. We headed to Burlington to catch the ferry to NY. We had 15 minutes so Andy stayed in the car while I went into the ferry dock to get some drinks and food. I hear a horn a few minutes later and I look outside and the ferry was taking off! WHAT! They were early and I was just a few feet away inside and had no indication or warning they were leaving. I ran out and said, "hey, my kids are on there without me!" I could see Andy talking to them and they came back and got me. We are dang lucky for that.
It was an hour crossing and the scenery started out beautiful. We had just got done looking at the gift shop when they announced that there was a tornado watch. It started raining and getting really windy. The annoying hippy guy next to us kept giving vivid descriptions of what would happen to us if a tornado actually did come. Luckily 20 minutes later the sun came out and all was clear again.
We reached land and it was a short ride to the Adirondacks to where we were looking forward to some excellent fishing. The kids played at the park while Andy got his license and everything settled. We grabbed some dinner where Halle again continued to scream. What is up with this girl? Payton was very excited to go fishing with dad and we took a quick look at the river which was only 50 yards away. We took a few pictures and went back to get the poles. We literally walked in the door and within 2 minutes in started pouring rain. The news said there was another tornado watch. Luckily there was no tornado and we had our DVD player so the kids watched Enchanted in the dark.
The kids and I woke up sick the next morning so we had to pack up and head home. Pour Andy didn't even get to fish at all. I felt so bad. The kids weren't exactly sure where we were going since we have been at a different place every night. We of course returned home to a house of dead bugs and an oozing, warm fridge.
Luckily, we are all sick together now and can just relax in front of the tv. Who needs a vacation anyway.
Friday, June 13, 2008
Are we done yet?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Kristin. I just got your blog off of Heidi's blog. Your kids are so cute. Payton looks so much like Andy. Thank you for the e-mail about the addresses. It really helped.
Robyn Robinson
Boy, that sounds like a few vacations I've had. My only advice is to always plan for the worst thing you can think of to happen that way everything else will seem mild. If you go back to Boston there is an aquariam there that is very cool. I went as an adult(well if you call 18 an adult) and loved it so your kids probably would also. I don't remember where it is exactly and could probably find the name on one of the pictures we took if you want to check it out. They also had an old boat you could throw bags off of like you were part of the Boston tea party. Just some things I remember about Boston that might be fun for the kids.
Oh my gosh that is so crazy!! What an adventure! I guess the good thing about the whole thing is you got to make some awesome memories to laugh about later! And a really good blog story! I love reading your posts. You guys area troopers! I have a hard time taking my kids anywhere like that, it is so much work!
Post a Comment