Friday, May 22, 2009

Guess I couldn't be a Vampire

Oddly, the first thought that came to my mind this week, was that I couldn't be a vampire. Most likely because I got talked into reading the Twilight series and just finished.
Halle has been pretty sick with a viral gastro intestinal thing since last week. She wouldn't eat or drink and we finally had to take her into the ER after she wouldn't even lift her head.
We surprisingly got in quicker than I thought. I knew they'd need to give her fluid and that she'd be a fighter against the IV. Uh..Yeah.... It took 3 of us to hold her down and since they were also trying to get a blood sample, it was much worse. It was taking soooo long. Drip, drip, drip. I don't know how they expected to get it done without a mess. There was blood everywhere; Halle's arm, the nurses hands, the bed. I started getting a little light headed and I remember saying I need to sit down and the nurses yelling for help. Yep.......I passed out. So embarrassing. I woke up and it took a minute to realize where I was and what happened. They had a bunch of people in there and they quickly put me on a stretcher with oxygen and ice. Poor Halle kept saying, "mama, mama".
So Halle and I layed there together while she got some fluid. Both of us strapped with lines of some sort. Luckily our good friend is a chief resident in the ER and he called Andy, who seriously thought he was playing a joke on him.
After two bags of fluid and no urine they decided to admit her and we then waited 6 hours to get her a room. Luckily she slept but I was worried she'd get something else just sitting there in the hallway.
We had a stressful 3 day stay but thankfully she is doing much better and we were able to come home. She even smiled at the nurses and told them thank you as we left. It was a big change from when we first got there and she would tell them that they could NOT touch her belly and they could NOT take here temperature. "No you can't", "Leave me alone!" That's a red head. All I could do was laugh.
I didn't realize how good we had it in Southern Utah hospitals. We shared a room with two other sick kids. It surely wasn't ideal, but luckily, we had Disney channel.
I'm so grateful to the Francis Family for keeping Payton for us. He had a great time and it was nice to not have to worry about him too. You guys are awesome! We definitely owe you.
Halle still has a little tummy pain every once and a while but other than that she is back to her wild and crazy self.

4 comments:

mamasteph said...

Sheesh! That's quite the hospital adventure! I'm glad little miss Halle is feeling better! Hospital stays are never any fun! Especially when it's children!

Lori Huntsman said...

I want to thank Melanie and Dave also. From a Mom's perspective (and a grandma's), it is sooooo hard to be so far away when your daughter needs you. This is twice now that you have come to their aid. Thank you SSSOOOOO Much! You eased my heart. Thank you. May God bless you!

Gayle said...

Wow, ER visits and hospital stays are never any fun. I'm glad to hear she is feeling better! (And your post title made me laugh!)

The DeMille Digest said...

I am glad to hear you are both doing better...my daughter is the same as you...passes out at anything remotely medical related!