Wednesday, December 23, 2009

December so far, in a (giant chocolate covered) "nutshell"

Proud little builders. My kids are always wanting to work on projects since they have grown up watching Daddy and recently Grandpa build things. Lowe's is close to our house so for the first time, ( finally I know) we went to their 'free' Saturday workshop.
It was fun and very interesting to watch some of the other people. I felt bad that some parents were so concerned about the project 'looking good' that they didn't really even let their kids do it. The kids basically did these all by themselves and I think they turned out awesome.
I told Halle I wanted to take her pic and this is the pose she shot back. ??? I have no idea where she gets this stuff. Cracks me up though. She so gangsta!
I love their cute little glasses, aprons, and hammers they got. They get to keep them and use them when they come again.
Halle even did a great job. They made little ornaments that we took home and hung on the tree.
No, we are not complete Scrooges. Payton asked me if we were 'skipping' Christmas this year. (he is addicted to that movie-Christmas with the Kranks). We 'finally' (and I mean it when I say that) got our Christmas tree. Things have been so busy, crazy since we moved. It took a long time to get all the boxes put away so we could have a place for the tree. The kids were so excited. Can't you tell by the big cheeser on Halle's face. :)
Another cheeser! Andy and I have a deal that we can do a flocked tree every other year. He loves them and actually it turned out very pretty. The kids weren't quite sure it was a tree at first since they've never seen one like this before.
We let our professinal tree license expire and let the kids do it all by themselves. Well, except the top where they couldn't reach. Payton took it very serious. :) Halle hung all hers together on one branch.
OK!! Fine! I did sneak back and move hers a little bit later!!
And though we do NOT have a frosty on our roof like the Kranks, we do have some lights around our bushes and door way.

Daddy has been pretty busy with work and projects for Christmas. Thankfully, our good friends have property near his work and he's able to go hunting before work some mornings. I know, what a spoiled man I have!! Halle always wants to go with him. She inspects the birds when he gets home.
I actually went with Andy this last weekend while mom was visiting and it was a blast. He had to keep telling me to be quiet. If I even took a drink of water he claim I'd scare them away. :)
Andy's also been very busy finishing up an order of pens. One of his hobbies is making pens and oil vials out of wood. I will post some more pics of them later cause they are beautiful, but here are a few.
This wood was shipped special from Bethlehem. It's olive wood and makes a BEAUTIFUL pens. One of his previous doctors loved the one he gave her last year and put in an order for 16 for Christmas this year. WOW!
He is always getting better and quicker and I am so proud of him and his fun talent. I can't complain that he gets paid for it either. :) If you ever want more info, let me know.
The kids and I have been sick quite a bit, but when we aren't laying on the couch, we've been trying to do a few fun Christmas traditions.
This is the saddest little house we've ever made! It was actually pathetic. It would not, could not, stay together. Again, I left my 'red personality' aside and let them do it alone while I held it. Payton was trying so hard to make it beautiful while Halle just kept eating all the candy. He barely had time to put in on before she would devour it. By the way, it's hilarious watching kids squeeze icing from a poorly constructed tube.

We call this, "Shock and Awe".

For the first time, we actually ate the gingerbread house. Wasn't great, wasn't bad. But it was a lot of fun. :)

We tried our luck again, this time with sugar cookies for Payton's school party. The kids had fun arguing over who got to roll and cut the dough, (of course). We made gingerbread men since Payton had been reading that story in school.
It took longer than expected so we didn't finish it (icing) until the next morning, right before school. All I can say is, yummy!!!!! Yeah, they are all gone now.
Andy's office is full of party animals. We've had several get togethers and I really like the people he works with.
This is from the work Party. They had a Chinese gift exchange. I opened my gift to find a nice big bottle of Jack Daniels Whiskey and two shot glasses. Awesome. :) It was quickly stolen from me and stolen again and again from everyone else. Them people sure do like their whiskey. I ended up with a cute blanket and candle.
Andy got this cute little pink bag with goodies and gift certificates to various restaurants. Had to force him to take a pic. :)
Awe, us cute little love birds. The other night his doctor took us all out to dinner at one of our favorite places, the Salt Grass Steakhouse. It was really good and we are so grateful to my mom and Andy's parents for watching the kids so we could get out. :)

4 comments:

Gayle said...

I think it is awesome that you can set your "red personality aside" (as you put it) and just the let the kids build and create and not worry about it all looking perfect. We as moms (especially me) tend to do that too often.

Andy's pens look beautiful! What a great talent! E-mail me the info on them if you can -- I just might have to put in an order. :-)

mamasteph said...

You guys have been doing so many fun things! And you look great! Your kiddos are adorable! And you've turned into a regular Betty Crocker! :) By the way, tell Andy the pens are awesome, and he can send me one anytime!! :) Hope you guys are having a blast this holiday season!!!

Brown Family said...

Lookin good. I'm so glad you guys are in your house and all is going well. Your kids are so cute. come visit when you come here again.

Nicole said...

Hey Kristen! Thanks for the comment on my blog. You have a great family! You are a great mom! And, I love your house!