Most of the show itself was inside the Reliant Center. We made an immediate b-line to the big John Deere tractors. (We being pro green and all) The kids got to take turns pretending to drive. Hope the uncles are prepared when we come to visit because Halle remembers that her uncles each have tractors at "their house" and she can't wait to come drive them. I was sad Payton had to miss this. Poor kid at to go to school.
The girls made their own piece of cotton. We also saw pregnant cows, (one gave birth) pigs, sheep, bulls, and chickens in each of their maturities. It was actually pretty cool to see the eggs under incubators, the next site you could watch them hatch, little baby chicks and then of course the not so cute adult hens/chickens.
Watch out!! Crazy driver alert. We love our Gators!
Outside was an enormous fair with loads of yummy food to choose from. And for the record, despite the "oh so good" slogan of fried Oreos or Snickers, they really are NOT that great.
One section had a childrens farm market. The kids got pellets to feed the animals and seeds to plant for crops. Each was given a basket to carry their produce. Halle planted carrots and then picked oranges, eggs, corn, tomatoes and even got to 'milk' a cow.
I love the seriousness in her face. :) All the animals and 'products' were made of wood or plastic but they looked extremely real and I think whoever came up with this idea is genius.
After the toil of their labor, they then sold their food to the market and earned a dollar. A few feet away was a store for them to buy a snack with their dollar. Halle picked a nice Rice Krispy Treat for all her hard work. She was very pleased. Again, Payton would have loved this. Sad he had to miss it.
After all her hard work on the farm, daddy rewarded (spoiled) Halle with a pony ride. This girl has no fear at all and just jumped right on.
After a few carnival rides we wandered over to the pig races. I can honestly say I've never done that before. It certainly made me feel more 'country'. Halle and I even enjoyed the (gulp) country music and danced around. :) It's starting to grow on me. I was not aware that pigs could run so swiftly. Their bribe? Oreo cookies.
It was a fun day and we look forward to next years rodeo. We didn't have time to go to the actual rodeo but living in Texas, I'm sure we'll get our chance. Mostly, I'm glad we are starting to make some good friends.









3 comments:
I always hate it too when the big kids miss out on fun outings because they're at school. We did the livstock show once, but I don't remember seeing such fun exhibits.
Oh, I wish we had taken Payton that day we tried to go to the zoo. Why didn't we? He would have truly loved it. I feel bad.
Cute pictures! Halle is getting so big!
Post a Comment