Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Happy Birthday Grandpa!! 101

Today is my sweet Grandpa's 101st birthday.   When I stop and think about it, I can't believe we are truly celebrating him turning 101.  It's amazing! He's amazing.
Grandpa makes me so happy!! We had such a wonderful time getting to visit with him all summer.  He's led a very inspiring life and I enjoy talking with him about the 'old days'.  While he can't remember many things from his childhood, or latter days, his life is a great example to me.  Like all of us, he has faced a lot of trials through out his life.  When I asked him how he felt or dealt with it he said, "Oh I can't remember.  I had faith and just did what had to be done."  His house had burnt down and he'd lost his farm and he can't remember! Made me realize how much we all worry about little things in life.  Yes, I say little.  It happened 50 + years ago and to me that seems like a big trial, but he can barely remember it and he's still very sharp.  We are always told that trials are here for our learning and experience and they will be 'but a small moment'.  He is a true example of that.  No matter how tough things may seem, they will be ok and we will go on.  I think his faith and positive attitude is what has kept him alive for so long.  Well, he'll also tell you steak, mush and Dr. Pepper. :) 
  I spent a LOT of time in his home growing up and I have many precious memories of him.  Again, he can't remember all of them, but 'I' can.  Getting to go for truck rides, hunting, going after wood, playing in the snow, raking a million leaves and then jumping in them, watching MASH, building fires, shoveling coal, playing blocks, sleeping outside.  My list could go on but I'm tearing up so I gotta stop.  :) 
I wish that everyone could know him!  But for the most part I am thankful that my kids can know him, and love him and get to spend time with him the way I did.  I don't know how many more birthdays he will celebrate, but for now- today is one fantastic day! 

2 comments:

Lori Huntsman said...

Very nice. Grandpa will like that. You'll make him cry. He is amazing!

Leslie L said...

Great post, Kris! It blows my mind to think about all the things he's experienced in his lifetime!